Wiley H. Bates Legacy Center
Mission: The Wiley H. Bates Legacy Center, Inc. will honor and give substance to the contributions of the founder, faculty, staff and students of Wiley H. Bates High School, which operated for over thirty years as the only high school for African American students in Annapolis and Anne Arundel County. The historical, cultural and educational center will collect, preserve, present, interpret and make available for research its holdings in order to provide insight and perspective on the roles of education, economic opportunity and service for citizens of Annapolis, Anne Arundel County and other jurisdictions. Located in what was once a segregated community, this nonprofit institution will serve as a touchstone for understanding and renewal for the community.
Vision: The Wiley H. Bates Legacy Center will move beyond the ranks of newest
member of the Anne Arundel County cultural heritage community to that of a nationally
respected and sought after resource:
- on Mr. Wiley H. Bates and his place in Annapolis history;
- for Wiley H. Bates High School related artifacts and documents that inspire scholarly and creative pursuits;
- on the educational heritage of African Americans in Maryland;
- for heritage preservation through an array of events, programs and services and;
- as a model for others wanting to establish a small, community based cultural heritage site.